gpl header copyright bugfix for my old contributions ready to be merged

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 13 10:08:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:35:53PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> in my opinion it's difficult to say when a patch is worth that a
> copyright message should be included. All people that are listed in

well, every non-trivial change (such as changing the way the code works,
adding new options, etc.) is copyrighted by the respective author. Maybe we
should ask a gpl expert, but the gpl header in the files is also to fulfill
GPLv2,"TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION",2a:

"You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that
you changed the files and the date of any change."

> the THANKS file have contributed to FAI in a certain amount and it
> would be a lot of work to scan all commits and to add all people to
> the files they have edited or send some patches. I fear a little bit
> this huge work, and like to concentrate on more important work for
> FAI.

this is important work, as it repairs licensing issues (not having the header
there violates GPLv2,2a).

--
c u
henning