package_config with boolean AND between classes (instead of OR)

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Mon May 5 00:15:56 CEST 2008

Hi Jürgen,

> could we introduce a boolean AND between classes in package_config
> files?

I think you're not the first bringing up this issue, but the first one providing
a solution as well :-) IMHO, this would indeed be very useful, but ...

[...]
> Maybe it's better to use a complete set of boolean expressions: &, |, !, ()
> But I could already work with this "AND-patch". ;)

... I think we should really discuss how far we should go. Your patch
essentially
- introduces NOT
- changes the semantics of the list in that it is now AND and not OR anymore

If we really like to see OR and (), this will require at least a larger chunk of
code, first for parsing the statement and then something to interpret it. Yet,
people might be already happy seeing NOT integrated (which includes myself).

What do others think about this issue? Do we need OR and ()? Please be aware
that OR may be implemented by several PACKAGES install lines as well. I'd opt
for integrating Jürgen's patch, even though the change in semantics must be well
documented.

Best,
Michael

PS.: Jürgen, please file a wishlist-bug to ensure that your patch doesn't get
lost!