Meeting minutes for the Ubuntu FAI-Team Meeting 25.09.2007

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Wed Sep 26 18:46:34 CEST 2007

This is a small writeout about the irc meeting we had. If some points
need more discussion, please just answer to this email.

The full meeting log can be seen here:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-meeting-2007-09-25.html

Attendance:
	lazyb0y
        torkel
        allee
        siretart
        Mrfai

Begin of Meeting: 18:01 UTC

TOPIC: Introduction

       The members introduces themselves.

TOPIC: status quo a: housekeeping (what has happened now)

       We currently have an archive where we can have package autobuilt
       for i386 and amd64 on launchpad (PPAs).

       The FAI-Team in launchpad is subscribed to all bugmail filed
       against fai.

       allee has started to work on fai in an bzr branch based on the
       launchpad vcs-import bzr branch. The rest of the team agreed to
       use bzr. Mrfai will keep on working in the svn trunk branch. The
       vcs-import bzr branch is automatically import newer svn
       commits. We will experiment with the 'bzr rebase' command to
       ensure that patches against the fai trunk are easy to extract.

       There was a bit off-topic discussion about wheather FAI shall
       provide hard-coded classes for the Distribution in use. lazyb0y
       suggested using something like DIST_DEBIAN, DIST_DEBIAN_ETCH,
       DIST_UBUNTU_HARDY, etc.

TOPIC: current problems with fai in ubuntu

       fai-cd is currently broken in ubuntu, cause is not identified
       yet. lazyb0y agreed to build an ubuntu fai.cd for Mrfai for
       further investigation.

       In order to get a better overview what works with FAI in ubuntu,
       and what has been tested yet, it was agreed to setup a testmatrix
       in the faiwiki. The matrix will be a simple table: x-axis: ubuntu
       distro, y-axis: one of fai-cd, pxe boot, dirinstall and
       soft-update.

TOPIC: short term plans for Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy)

       It was agreed to focus on unbreaking fai-cd for gutsy, if
       possible.

       allee experienced problems with gutsy pxe boot, he will look into
       this.

       allee intends to write some kubuntu example classes for the
       ubuntu fai package.

       Mrfai asked how long time we have for fixing bugs in gutsy. The
       release schedule is outlined here:
       https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyReleaseSchedule. Uploads to universe
       (where fai is) in in principle possible until a few days before
       release, however we shouldn't count on that.

TOPIC: hardy ideas

       siretart will present FAI in a bof at UDS-Boston.

       allee intends to check with the ubuntu-server team about possible
       cfengine/puppet integration with FAI.

       It was agreed that we want provide fai-cd for all flavors of
       ubuntu: kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc. siretart noted that they
       probably won't fit on a CD if we want to use the regular
       ubuntu-desktop like meta-packages.

       siretart wanted to investigate replacing nfsroot with a squashfs
       served via nbd. Mrfai asked for a whishlist bug to be
       filed. siretart will talk to panthera about ndb support in
       live-initramfs.

       allee suggested bzr support for configspaces in fai. He agreed to
       file a whishlist bug for this.

TOPIC: housekeeping (future meetings, communication, launchpad infrastructure etc.)

       It was agreed to just use linux-fai-devel as main communication
       mailing list for the Ubuntu-FAI Team.

       It was agreed that any member is allowed to upload packages to
       the team PPA without further checking with other team
       members. Please keep in mind that people are actually using this
       PPA, so please be careful ;)

End of meeting: 19:03 UTC

--
Gruesse/greetings,