[Fai-commit] r4552 - in trunk: bin man

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 16:30:26 CEST 2007

Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > I've no idea about the specifics of Ubuntu, but can't we just detect, whether
>     > the system we are running on is Ubuntu? (something similar to
>     > /etc/debian_version maybe)
> We discussed that yesterday on irc, but it's hard to do
> this.

it's basically not possible because debian_version is always
"testing/unstable" in Ubuntu - sadly.

> lsb_release -is fine, but it needs python. I do not want to have
> python inside the nfsroot.

When thinking about it, I see nothing too bad with having python there.
It's getting more and more an important language for sysadmin stuff (if
lsb tools use it, it might become as standart as bash and perl are), and
it's quite nice and useful.

The nfsroot on etch is large anyway(last time I looked at it was over
500MB, right?!), additional 20MB(just a guess) are not really doing much
harm.

Another, maybe the best way for all, would be to ask the Ubuntu people
to use a meaningful debian_version file, or add something like
ubuntu_version.

Henning