New features, and bugfix for faimond

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Aug 28 17:14:19 CEST 2007

    > This signal is just used to abort the read(). Since the die make
    > script fall through the read, the client is disconnected and the
    > daemon keeps on running.
Since I do not want to use the daemon version of your faimond, a die call
will kill the faimond itself. I like to close the connection, not kill
the script.

    > I must say that I am a bit sceptical to let the faimond-gui lead
    > the development of faimond. My belief is that most sites will use
    > faimond without the GUI.
The faimond was created for the GUI, not for writing log messages into
a file. Maybe you want to use the faimond also for this purpose, but
that was not my intension. Maybe we need two seperate scripts:

faimond-gui (which may include the faimond code of receiving the
messages via socket) and fai-log-daemon.

But then not both scripts may run at the same time because of the port
they listen to.

I like to release a first version of the faimond-gui soon, this is
more important for me than logging messages to a file. Those logging
messages are IMO now interesting, since we have the log files after an
installation, and I only want to monitor multiple installation via a
GUI and forget those information if the installations are finished.

    > Proc:Daemon package is to avoid reinventing the wheel and by
    > that also having more code with potential bugs. It also makes the
    > code more readable, IMHO.
You are right. I agree with you, but I my use case it's not needed to
run faimond as a "real" daemon.