[Fai-commit] r4502 - in trunk: conf debian

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 13 10:47:40 CEST 2007

    >> Modified:
    >> trunk/conf/NFSROOT
    >> trunk/debian/control
    >> Log:
    >> move packages cfengine2 and libapt-pkg-perl from control to NFSROOT

    > Well, libapt-pkg-perl _is_ a dependency of the fai-client package. So IMHO
    > you should leave it like this, as install_packages is used when doing
    > softupdate... and without libapt-pkg-perl, there is no filter for missing
    > packages, which may break updates...
Well, the new version of install_packages does not need
libapt-pkg-perl all the time. Only when using on a Debian (or similar
System) and only if you are using the PACKAGES install (which uses
apt-get) command. When using aptitude (which I prefer) or other
package management commands (for other Linux distributions), this
library is not needed.

So now you should install libapt-pkg-perl onto your clients by adding
it to a package_config file as FAI does it by adding this package to
/etc/fai/NFSROOT.

This makes it easier to install FAI on other distributions where
libapt-pkg-perl is not available.