select installation drive by serial number

Jens Dreger jens.dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 22 19:04:37 CEST 2007

Hi!

The way setup_harddisks selects the harddrive for installation is not
secure enough for us. sda can nowadays move around all over the place.

I'd like to add support to setup_harddisks to select the installation
harddrive by serial-number. This can easily be done using udev and
friends. If for some reason a FAI kernel manages to access the SAN and
local disks are not found for some reason, FAI might end up formating
some TB just because it thinks it's on sda...

What format would be apropriate to activate this feature? I'd use
something like:

  disk_config serial=4MR4PM9S

in the disk_config file.

I can test this on a large number of controllers, too (3ware doesn't
seem to work right now, areca/qlogic do).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Jens.

--
Jens Dreger                      Freie Universitaet Berlin
dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de       Fachbereich Physik - ZEDV