Problems with FAI installation from USB DVD drive

christoph.schulthess at post.ch christoph.schulthess at post.ch
Fri Feb 2 15:36:03 CET 2007

Hi all

That's my situation:
In our company, we're installing all our linux systems (debian sarge)
with FAI.
We set up normal PC's (HP and Dell) and Notebooks (Dell Latitude D600,
D610, D620).
Now I wanna reach the FAI support for Dell Latitude D420. It's a
subnotebook.

The problem is now, this model doesn't have a CD or DVD drive build-in.
There's only a DVD drive aviable which can be connectet with USB.

I can boot from my FAI CD, our two installation versions are found, but
when it will start with the FAI installation the following error
appears:
-> trying to locate cdrom: no ATAPI CD-ROM drives found
-> searching for installed SCSI adapters

Where could be the problem?
I doesn't have any idea how to implement the USB DVD drive support for
FAI.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Christoph