Extending fcopy

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Dec 7 22:45:49 CET 2006

Hi all,

Janning has proposed quite a few enhancements to fcopy lately. I think the
resulting discussion should be bundled in a single thread and it should actually
move to linux-fai-devel (@Janning: don't know, whether you are subscribed to
this one already).

Just to summarize, the suggestions were:

- some -k/--keep option (which I'd rather call --keep-permissions :-) ) to
  retain the permissions of the file which should be overwritten (BTW: what
  should happen if there is no such file?)

- some way to return the number of files that were actually copied.

My objections were
- Adding code to a mission-critical tool like fcopy is dangerous.
- More options may confuse users.
- The intended behaviour may be simulated using pre-/postinst scripts.

In my opinion the first and the second are still valid, however, the third has
been proven to be _really_ clumsy. So I guess these options should be added, if
a proper patch can be provided.

Hoping for further discussion,