A small patch for a minor annoyance

David Riddle driddle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:39:31 CET 2006

Hello,

I recently noticed that if there are errors in either fai.conf or
make-fai-nfsroot.conf then fai-setup will fail without really telling
the user why it failed. For example I accidentally deleted a # from
one of the comments in fai.conf. When I ran fai.conf I received the
following error message:

/usr/sbin/fai-setup: line 5: installserver: command not found

Now it is not obvious from the above error message that fai.conf is
causing the problem. I suggest that you add some more error checking
to fai-setup so when such errors happen fai-setup will give a more
helpful error message. I have included a small patch to fix this. It
is simple and I hope the FAI developers will find it useful.

Sincerely,

David Riddle
driddle at gmail.com

p.s. I wrote this for FAI 2.8.4 but I also tested the patch against fai 2.9.1