addpackages removed in FAI 2.9?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 12 11:18:18 CET 2006

    > Hi,
    > If I may come back to the original subject line... I miss $addpackages, $kernelversion and $kernelimage.

These variables were removed from the simple examples since they are
not usefull for most people. But in your environment you can use them
without any problems.

    >  From the new 'simple' examples it now seems I have to explicitly list the kernel and driver packages in
    > package_config/DEFAULT or similar, e.g.

    > package_config/DEFAULT:
    > PACKAGES install CPU_P2_SINGLE
    > kernel-image-2.4.32-dsp.p2.single
    > PACKAGES install CPU_P2_SMP
    > kernel-image-2.4.32-dsp.p2.smp
You can use a file like this, but you may also use the old method.

    > CPU_P2_SINGLE.var:
    > kernelversion="${kernelversion}-dsp.p2.single"
    > kernelimage="kernel-image-${kernelversion}"

    > - For each driver class I add the new kernel version to the package name, e.g.
    > addpackages="$addpackages alsa-modules-${kernelversion}"

The only problem will be that the variable substitution in
install_packages was also removed. But you may use the variables in a
shell script. E.g: create a script /fai/scripts/DEFAULT/70-mykernels

#! /bin/sh
yes'' | $ROOTCMD aptitude install $kernelimage $addpackages

    > Am I correct to say that the following (undocumented) snippet

    > package_config/CLASS1:
    > PACKAGES install CLASS2 CLASS3
    > package

    > is equivalent to "if (CLASS1 && (CLASS2 || CLASS3)) then install package"?
Yep.