addpackages removed in FAI 2.9?

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Tue Jan 10 09:18:30 CET 2006

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 19:16 +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
> > This wouldn't make sense for the files/ directory tree. Maybe it's
> > useful for the other directories. But IMO this would change FAI a lot.
> > But it's up to you to try it and send us your experiences with another
> > layout of the whole config space.
>
> This idea is just stolen from yourself :)
>
> I think it is problematic with "class", but don't understand what's the
> problem with files.

Do you think it would be useful for any directory but "files"? I don't think
so... I think I already proposed some implementation the last time we discussed
that, but wouldn't it be as easy as

for i in $classes ; do
  if [ -d $FAI/new_files/$i ] ; then
    cp -a $FAI/new_files/$i/* ${target}/
  fi
done

which could be added to some script.

> Are there other ideas to achieve better updateability and shareability
> of classes? I think that's an important thing.

Indeed it is, but at least as far as my config space is concerned, I do have
many files that are shared between classes, e.g., MAILRELAY is also a SERVER and
thereby gets the relevant ssh configuration, PAM settings ... So if somebody
were interested in a single class of our configuration, I'd rather have to
compute the list of classes and then do

for i in $classes ; do
  find files/ -name $i | xargs -n 1 dirname
done

to get the list of affected files.

Maybe the way you organize your configuration is quite different and your
approach suits a lot better, but it does not for me. Yet, there was another
point in the previous discussion: Considering only subdirectories that are very
specific to a single class, e.g., /etc/apache2 for WEBSERVER - that seems indeed
useful for me too, but as a result only a mixed structure of files/ and
new_files/ would be sensible.

Regards,