thoughts about branches

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Oct 18 16:19:22 CEST 2005

    > When somebody fixes a specific bug in his people branch successfully, he
    > should document that in the BTS. So, its easy to find, and, through svn
    > easy to apply and test for others.
Yep. This is very important. So it's easy to find the patch in the svn.
Could someone please add this to the svn policy/howto in the faiwiki.

    > But do you want to do only _one_ single bugfix branch, and fix _all_
    > bugs in there? How will you then extract single patches?
I thought about this:
/bugs/<bugnummer>/

So in addition to a people branch we would create a bugs branch und
which everybody can create a branch for evcery bug. But maybe the
solution above (add link to the svn tree into the BTS) will be enough.

    > Or do you propose to have something like /branches/bug/<BUGNUMBER> for
    > each bug? That I think is an idea we could consider. Still, it could
Yep.

    > How would we regulate who is allowed to commit in
    > which /branches/bugfix/<BUGNUMBER> branch? As For now, "normal"
    > developers are not allowed to commit anywhere but /people/, but we need
    > to commit in svn to share our bugfix proposals.
Commit access is regulated with our policy. Do only commit in your tree.

    > With that considered, having all in /people is still easier.
I'm still open for this solution, and maybe the bugs branch is not
needed if we document where the patch can be found.

    > Example:
    > When Florent and me will work on fai-multi-distribution, where will we
    > do that?
    > in /people/lazyboy/fai-multi-distribution or
    > in /people/florent/fai-multi-distribution ? or both, and the results
    > will be merged in /braches/fai-multi-distribution?
That's up to you. You can both commit to each others tree if you
like. But you should choose a name that indicates which version is the
main/best/newest version of your work.

    > BTW: the svn book says: "branches are cheap, so use them liberally" ...
I think I need some more expirences which branches and merging to see
if it really makes sense to use branches for small patches. So where's
the first patch I can merge?