thoughts about branches

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Oct 18 00:33:37 CEST 2005

    > - if we need multiple small patches like that, they still get made that
I think small patches are not worth to create a new branch in
svn. Just add the diffs to the BTS for this bug. IMO this make thinks
much easier, because I do not have to look at the BTS and into all
peoples branches.

We should think about a bugs branch in svn. Why do we create bugs
subdir under people/<name>/ directories? If I'm looking for a certain
patch for a bug, this patch is (or should not be) not related to a
certain person. Currently I have to checkout all peoples branches and
search in these directories. With a new bugs branch I can find a patch
for this bug very quickly.

    > - we need to keep book about which patch (say, changes in which branch)
    > we already merged into which other branch, when.

    > - we need to think about what we do to get those patches into the trunk,
    > also, because we most often will want and need them there, also.
Should I delete a certain bug branch if it is included into the trunk?

I was very supprised when I say the first people branch only for a
single bug. I thought people branches are made mainly for new features
or maybe also for bigger bug fixes. But maybe I'm wrong. Should we
really want to create a branch for every single small bug?