Partition type should be "Linux raid autodetect"

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Sep 1 00:13:32 CEST 2011

Hi Fredrik,

[...]
> We noticed that, after an installation where we preserve a LVM
> volume under RAID (thanks again for that functionality), the
> partition table will look like this,

Despite Julien's comment about raid-autodetect being deprecated I'd like to
fully understand the (potential) problem. Could you please help me understand
whether you have as member of the software RAID LVM volumes or disk partitions?
I'd assume it's the latter as otherwise the partition type "raid autodetect"
wouldn't make sense, but could you please confirm this?

>   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>    /dev/sda1 * 1 65 522081 83 Linux
>    /dev/sda2 66 60801 487861920 83 Linux
>
> instead of,
>
>   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>    /dev/sda1 * 1 65 522081 fd Linux raid autodetect
>    /dev/sda2 66 60801 487861920 fd Linux raid autodetect

Just as another request for confirmation, if setup-storage gets to see the above
table and preserves those partitions, you end up with the first partition table
given above?

> I'm not sure if this is critical in any way, as it seems to work
> either way, but I imagine you'd like to fix this.

As it is working for you and "raid autodetect" is deprecated, probably this very
instance isn't really critical. It may point at a more fundamental problem,
however, as partition types should survive the setup-storage run when using
"preserve".

Thanks a lot,