setup-storage!!!! :)

Joseph Rawson umeboshi3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:53:03 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 07:35:24 Thomas Lange wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
>     > Please let me know if there's anything that's really important that I
>     > may not be aware of.  I've been looking at the disk_config directory,
>     > and it looks like the config files have changed a bit.
>
> Yes, the disk_config format was enhanced, so it now supports software raid
> and lvm.
>
>     > I was wondering if y'all think that using partman would be a more
>     > permanent solution to the problem of setting up the disks.
>
> I did a look at partman long time ago. IMO partman is a solution that
> is tied to much to the debian installer. It was created to give
> a shell interface to a C++ library (libparted). It's nearly impossible to
> use it without the installer environment. That's why I'm happy that the new
> setup-storage is using parted, without using partman.
>
>     > very heavily with the debian installer environment, and it's
>     > difficult to extricate it from that environment, or even to run it
>     > from a chroot.
>
> That's excatly what I discoverd.
>
>     > I've been spending the last couple of weeks trying to get it to do
>     > this.  The people working on live-helper would also like to see the
>     > debian-installer usable from a regular debian system, instead of the
>     > restrictive busybox environment that it's made to work with.
>
> I think that will be a lot of work, and the d-i people may not be
> interested in doing this work.

I think that this may be the case, also.  I haven't bothered them about it
yet, as I know they're busy getting ready for lenny.

The people working on debian live have expressed interest in getting the
debian installer to run in a live environment, instead of having to reboot
into it.  This is why I mentioned it, since there are other people interested
in this.
>     > others.  I think that having the partman package running on debian as
>     > a normal package, or packages, would be a very valuable tool.
>
> Having the setup-storage tool as a seperate Debian package is the
> better solution IMO.

I'll mention setup-storage to the debian live people.  I think that they have
their hearts set on using the debian installer, but they haven't tried to run
it yet, so they may be more interested in using setup-storage once they get
started trying to hack on the debian installer.

>     > Thanks again for all the work that you've put into fai.  This program
>     > has inspired what I've been doing for a long time now! :)
>
> You're welcome. I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI.
> Can you please fill out the FAI questionnaire
> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/questionnaire
> and send it back to me when you finished a project with fai.

I just filled it out and sent it.

> P.S.: in the README file http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/paella/trunk/README you
> say
>
>   >This project is inspired heavily by fai (fully automatic install) by
>   > Thomas Lange fai's homepage -- http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
>
> Maybe you can correct this, FAI stands for Fully Automatic Installation.
I just finished  correcting it.  That README is so far out of date, it
probably needs to be re-written from scratch.  I've been using the website to
hold the documentation and I have been neglecting the README file over the
years.  In fact, it seems that the website is getting out of date too.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson