make-fai-nfsroot should check for live-initramfs at the begining

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sun Nov 18 13:59:36 CET 2007

Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > As said:
>     > make-fai-nfsroot should check for live-initramfs at the begining,
>     > instead of telling me after some minutes of waiting at the very end:
>
>     > "ERROR - live-initramfs is not installed"
> I really wonder how I should check if a package is installed properly,
> before installing exactly this package? IMO I can only check this
> after trying to install it. But patches are welcome.

Argh - I really should know it, as it isn't the first time I use
3.2.X... but: I didn't understand (and the message doesn't tell that),
that this message is about a package _inside_ the nfsroot!

The reason is (unconfirmed, but 99% sure) that I forgot to add the beta
repository to the fai sources.list.

Would I have gotten a message like "cannot install/access live-initramfs
in the nfsroot(maybe even adding: package not available)" - I would have
known what to do, or where to look at.

Henning

BTW: seems a good point to ask if there is some place in the wiki or
wherever where we have documented all steps people need to do to test or
work with the beta packages, in general how they need to convert to 3.2.X?
Apart from the point discussed here, which will be solved when FAI 3.2.x
is used in post-etch Debian, there are also changed to the way an
install clients mounts the nfsroot, and how he gets information about
where the nfsroot is located(before it was possible to send that info
via dhcp, now, as far as I understand, it must be given in PXE options).