fai 3.0 testing

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Oct 7 17:15:52 CEST 2006

Henning Sprang wrote:
> [...]
> ** maybe the stuff with the base image that are now also searched in
> the configdir . I only read about it in the changelog somewhere, and
> did not test it yet. It must also be in the manual.

BTW: for this function, (which i did still not test) I have comment:

I think I read that the base file is looked up in the configpsace in files.

I think this could be done better, for the following reasons:

1) people tend to have their configspace in version control - nobody
wants to have multiple hundred megabytes of base images in there.
2) when I play around and test, and develop FAI, I often change
configspaces. then it's inconvenient to have to copy the base images
around again and again.

Another place would be the nfsroot, but I think even that is not
optimal. Because I maybe want to rebuid, the nfsroot without rebuilding
base images, and then again I have to copy and move them around manually.

But maybe adding a new nfsmount just for the base images is too much, so
I'd prefer having them in the nfsroot, maybe in a nicer location than
/var/tmp, maybe directly in /base-images.

I think for my personal usage, I would then put the base images
somewhere else on the same disk, and add something to the nfsroot script
to hardllink the base images at the end of each nfsroot build. I am not
sure if that is doable for all FAI users, if it would then we could aim
for such a solution.
(making the place for the real base files configurable, try to copy them
as link of this place is on the same disk, and make a real copy if it's
another disk, at the end of eac make-fai-nfsroot).

Henning