fai.conf: defaults and other thougts ...

Ingo Wichmann iw at linuxhotel.de
Sat Jul 29 23:09:49 CEST 2006

Hi!

Im thinking again of the installserver parameter in /etc/fai/fai.conf .

What does a user think, what is meant by "installserver" ? dhcp server?
tftp server? server hosting the fai-install-filesystem? mirror? the
server where the logs are sent to? All or some of them?

I'm not sure, but i think it's the server hosting the
fai-install-filesystem and, if not overwritten, the logserver.

I think i would be nice to have the following solution for this:
After an ''aptitude install fai-server'' the parameter "installserver"
should not be set in ''fai.conf''. And the default value used internally
should be the output of ''hostname -f''.

The fai-install-filesystem could default to
"nfs://$installserver/srv/whatever"

The parameter "LOGSERVER" should not be set either. And it should
default to "faimond://$installserver scp://$installserver/srv/whatever"

At the last point, that's not really my opinion: i think "LOGSERVER"
could default to "syslog://$installserver", and the log messages sent to
the logserver could be tagged with priorities, maybe:

7 debug  Command exit status 0, package installed, partition created
6 info   Command exit status >0, package not installed, ...
5 notice Script finished with status failed, package_config/class failed
4 warn   Task finished with status failed
3 err    Action finished with status failed
2 critb  FAI did not start
1 alert
0 emerg

On the serversite the logtarget in syslog.conf could be a skipt called
failog. This skript could print the logs to files similar to the files
today.

Ingo