Proposal for a new disk configuration utility

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon May 15 15:00:13 CEST 2006

Some additional tought about the new format:

- When defining raid partitions, you should not need to say sdc1 or
  sdd1, but instead disk1.1 or disk2.1, since we do not know how disk1
  will be mapped to a certain disk.

- what about primary/logical tags for other architecures which do not
  have these types of partitions?

- any other special cases for non i386 architectures?

- How to define encrypted partitions? Which types of encryption are
  available? Entering the secrect key for a partition will be another
  problem, not to be discussed yet.

- What about resizing a partition? I like to do the following

  disk_config disk1
  primary /old-linux   3000-6000 rw ext2 resize_min
  primary /boot		300	rw ext3
  logical /		0-	rw ext3

that means, resize the first partition to the minimum size (3000) if
not already inside the range defined. If there's more than 3GB of data
already inside the partition it tries to resize it to a size so that
the data fits into it. If the partition is already between 3 and 6
Gbytes of size, it will not resized. resize_max is a similar function.