State of Red Hat support?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 8 22:52:45 CET 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:47:55PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 16:56 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > some time ago there was some momentum towards adding rpm support to
> > fai. I think the goal was Mandrake or SuSE. If any of these rpm based
> > distros make it to become fai-ified, the next will be simply adjusting
> > some parameters I guess.
>
> _when_
>
> As you might have seen, I finally had time to look into the stuff
> Florent did - he did a proof of concept that it's generally possible to
> install an rpm-based distribution.
> I wrote a longish list of questions concerning his implementation, which
> he did not yet reply to.
> I also started to try what he did, noting each additional step that was
> necessary to get his stuff going. I was not yet successful - but I think
> I am about an hour or two away from it, but had no time yet to finish
> that. Plus, when I wanted to get back at it last week, I couldn't find
> these detailed docs - sorry, they could help you to get you at my
> current state for installing a mandriva system.
>
> If that proof of cpncept will generally work, there will some things be
> needed to do:
>
> - scripts to create the base images for the different distributions,
> also on Debian or other distributions
> - better integration of Florent's work into FAI (config's, only one
> make-fai-nfsroot script)
> - maybe a slightly better design of that work, for example I don't think
> we need an extra NFSRoot for each distribution.
> - the scripts for base-<DISTRIBUTION>.tgz generation should be run
> independently of make-fai-nfsroot

another interesting thing to discuss is hwo to integrate two or more
distributions in one tree. I have seen Sarge and Woody co-exist in one
config tree, but maybe these are too much alike in contrast to Debian
vs Mandriva etc.

That's probably less a question of fai mechanics and infrastructure
support, but more of fai organisation of configs. So this should
probably be discussed separately, but it is still an interesting
topic.

> > What is the status? Is there an actual demand, or is it just
> > nice-to-have, but a ton of things are more important?
> >

> I wanna do it, for fun, but it can take a while, and I guess if it's
> there, lot of people will use it - but not many people seem to be
> interested enough to also work on it. It could be a question of a
> man-month or two to get all the above nicely going.

I'm looking forward to it, thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net