fai-cd produces unbootable system because of missing grub packages

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sun Oct 16 15:30:03 CEST 2005

Hi,
During my test of the fai-cd bugfix I stumbled over another problem with
fai-cd:

When only changing testing to stable in the fai-cd script, and trying to
create a fai-cd with the simple config example, I end up having a
fai-mirror that has no grub package.

Then, the fai-cd script  for creating the iso image can still finish,
looking nicely to me, without a clear error message, but the installed
system doesn't have grub installed and therefore cannot boot.

That means, we deliver simple examples that won't work with fai-cd as
they are, and finding the error is quite hard for somebody not deeper
into FAI - even for me it took some hours (ok, mainly because each test
takes it's time, but it won't get quicker for others, it even takes more
time when you test on real hardware, burning a cd each time,instead of
using qemu like I did), and I found the solution more by guessing than
by having a clear error message that helped much.

The solution was: It helped for me to remove the package_config lines in
the package_config file DEFAULT for the class LILO, which requests grub
to be removed. I suspect that this dependency handling doesn't work out
correct, ending in fai-mirror not including the grub package.

How do we want to handle that? Simply remove stuff for the class LILO in
package_config/DEFAULT? Would that still be an easy enought patch to get
into sarge-proposed-updates? Does it break other stuff somewhere else
for the simple examples?

Should I report an extra bug for this before doing anything else, or is
this still 320024 "fai-cd doesn't work with sarge"? I tend to say it's
an extra bug, because it has nothing to do with sarge and hardcoded
"testing" strings.

Henning