Version control and code sharing for fai multidistribution development - was Re: FAI

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 21:27:05 CEST 2005

Hi,
I talked to Thomas about that on IRC today. He's too busy to do anything
on FAI right now.

I told him I'll do some reaearch if Subversin can at all be used for
giving write acces only to specific branches for some developers.

The result: it is possible, and in this section(s) of the subversion
book it's explained how:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s03.html#svn-ch-6-sect-3.2.2
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.4.2
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s02.html#svn-ch-5-sect-2.1

When I got it right, debian alioth does not provide webdav access for
subversion, which would be the preferred solution, but we have to go for
the pre-commit solution, if we (better: Thomas) have enough access
permissions to the alioth subversion server.

I am not sure, when Thomas will be able to check for that, and i want to
help with the rpm stuff soon, and I wanna share versioned code, so we
might need to set up a preliminary short-term solution.
Henning Glawe pointed out, that with darcs it's easy to send patches by
email.

Florent, can you imagine using darcs for sharing your code with me and
the others interested in that, which is at least Axel Thimm, and
Christopher? Or do you have another idea, like a server, where you can
set up a subversion or cvs repository for the next months to help with
the development? I can also see if and where i can get something like
that.

Alioth also has an arch server, I just saw... we could set up a
temporary fai-multidistribution archs repository.

Thomas, what about the possibility to set up a preliminary subversion
server on the faiwiki machine, only short term, only for the
multidistribution branch? No work for you, I'd  be doing it!

In the meantime, can you send me your code by mail, or put it on some
webserver Florent?

Henning